Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Mixed Up Files of a Harried Homeschool Mom

I just have to tell you about the hilarious incident that happened to me. Yesterday was CapitalFest, an event where homeschoolers come and meet with members of the state senate and legislature. I was supposed to meet my group at the NCHE sign in desk but I didn't realize until I looked at our message board right before leaving that I had no idea of where that would be since CapitalFest was going on in legislative buildings, history museum, science museum, state capitol, etc. To top it off, I was not sure what the only lady who was definitely coming looked like. My son and I arrived in the general area and I flagged down some homeschoolers and they pointed and said "we checked in over there". I thought they pointed to history museum. I went in and sure enough there was a check in desk. I went over and they didn't have my registration information but they made me up a packet of important bills to watch and a name tag. I chatted with the table voluntters and one of the gentlemen told me that he didn't like my representative at all. He really didn't like her. Then I called the other mom because it was way past meeting time and I hadn't seen anyone. There was no answer. I decided to walk over to the legislative building to see if we had just missed her since I knew we had an appointment there in ten minutes. I got there, sat through the meeting with this representative. The whole time I was wondering what that guy didn't like about her. She really seemed to be homeschool friendly, etc. Later, we walked to next appointment and while I was waiting, I looked at the bills - the first one was about school bullying and adding sexual orientation to the list of bullying. I thought to myself what do homeschoolers care and then decided well maybe, they are interested in all education problems and many do homeschool because of bully issues though the bill looked quite the waste of time to me. I didn't have time to loook at rest of bills because we were meeting with our state senator. However, after that meeting, I did look -it was bills like gay marriage rights, transgender stuff, etc. My mind flipped. What does this have to do with homeschooling? I thought most homeschoolers were rather conservative anyway and it just seemed like I was in the twilight zone. Then I happened to look at the logo. I had gone to the NCE check in desk and not the NCHE check in desk!!!! NCE is North Carolina for Equality and is a gay rights organization.

Imagine my burst of giggles when I realized the conversation I had earlier in the morning at the table: "Oh I've been doing this about a year and really enjoy it. I can' t believe more people are not doing it."

No comments:

Post a Comment